In Payroll Law, you'll learn...
- Tips to help withhold, report and pay the right taxes every time
- How to determine what is taxable compensation and what isn’t
- Legal requirements for keeping and purging payroll records
- Exactly where you’re vulnerable in complying with complex FLSA mandates
- And more!
Payroll law has become so complex and ever-changing that it’s easier to make mistakes. That’s why we developed this unique one-day workshop—to show you exactly where you are vulnerable and, more importantly, how you can fix the problem.
After your training, you’ll know how to identify common mistakes that get most companies hauled into court—and ensure 100 percent accuracy and compliance. You’ll also cover special payroll situations like garnishments and levies, involuntary deductions and other benefit administration challenges.
When you return to the office, you’ll be armed with the knowledge you need to self-audit your processes, clean up your records and ensure every employee, contractor, intern or other “special case” is classified, paid and reported correctly—saving you from hassles, headaches and potential lawsuits down the road.
Payroll and its related costs are the single biggest expense your company has. Make sure you give yourself the best opportunities to do it right. Enroll now for this terrific day of training.
Program hours: 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
Click on a session title to view details
Session 1: The Legal Fundamentals of Payroll Administration+
- Where do your legal responsibilities as a payroll pro begin and end?
- The top payroll law mistakes that could get you hauled into court
- How to classify each and every one of your employees correctly
- How to utilize the ABC Test to relieve your payroll headaches and worries
- Section 530 relief provisions
- Starting off right: Payroll requirements for new hires
- How to ensure you’re withholding, reporting and paying the right taxes
Session 2: FLSA at a Glance+
- The relationship between FLSA and employment in today’s business
- Common FLSA exemptions that trip up even veteran payroll pros
- How do you classify “time worked”?
- When can you give comp time in lieu of overtime pay?
- How to calculate overtime pay to the penny
- Alphabet soup: How FMLA impacts FLSA
- Regular rate-of-pay exclusions
Session 3: Understanding Benefit Administration Fundamentals+
- What exactly is taxable compensation in the eyes of the law?
- Are you taking out the right taxes? Too many? Too few?
- When fringe benefits are NOT taxable
- Cafeteria plans, FSA and COBRA
- A step-by-step guide to handling a deceased employee’s wages
- How to cover all the bases when making corrections and adjustments to withholdings
Session 4: Demystifying Special Payroll Circumstances and Challenges+
- Everything you need to know about deductions: Mandated, voluntary and involuntary
- Handling employees who work abroad
- How some U.S. income tax treaties may affect your company
- Child labor laws—are you in danger of violating them?
- Determining resident or nonresident alien status
Session 5: Enforcing Garnishments, Levies and More+
- What are the federal restrictions on creditor garnishments?
- How to prioritize bankruptcy orders
- The differences in administering a defaulted federal student loan
- Guidelines for the amount of wages subject to an AWG when AWG and CCPA calculations differ
- Juggling multiple garnishments: Which one takes precedence?
- EXERCISE: Use these easy-to-understand worksheets to compute child support withholdings
Session 6: Maintaining Audit-proof Records and Forms+
- Time frames for keeping time cards, employee earnings statements and other vital payroll records
- Step-by-step checklists for employee W-4s
- How to avoid the most common mistakes employers make on W-2s
- Keeping your organization safe from penalties
- When you make a mistake—how to answer an IRS notice
- Posting requirements in the office