In Managing Human Resources, you'll learn...
- How to handle your job responsibilities with greater ease and confidence
- Where to find the best reference resources for any hiring and firing challenge
- How to quickly grasp the legal ramifications behind your HR decisions
- What other successful companies are doing in the employee relations arena … and what that means to your efforts
- How to counsel managers and department heads in handling minor HR problems and concerns
Get ready for the most complete course on managing human resources anywhere
As difficult as your day-to-day “hot issues” seem—hysterical employees, late paperwork, cost cutting, etc.—they pale in comparison to your larger responsibilities as a human resources professional.
You’re the key talent management strategist for the organization. You are responsible for keeping up with employment laws and pertinent compliance mandates. Your boss relies on you as a key member of the leadership team … though you’re often forced to be a “bad news” messenger, thanks to ever more complex laws and escalating benefit costs. Plus, you’re responsible for making sure your organization’s supervisors and managers understand organizational policies and procedures … as well as major laws and compliance mandates … and apply them consistently and correctly.
It’s a big, big, big job … and unfortunately, it’s one that often does not earn you the respect and appreciation you deserve because no one else comprehends just how big your job really is.
There’s absolutely no better way to update your knowledge than by attending Managing Human Resources. Enroll today; you’ll leave with tons of practical tools, techniques, strategies and guidelines you can use immediately to handle your role with greater confidence and success.
Program hours: 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
Click on a session title to view details
Session 1: The Purpose and Importance of Human Resources+
- Why HR is vital to every person in the organization
- Understanding and aligning HR with the organization’s essential goals
- HR analytics: A critical thinking framework
- Values and ethics in HR
- HR’s role in making the company a great place to work
Session 2: Recruiting, Interviewing and Hiring +
- Fair, legal hiring practices and the importance of strategic staffing
- Creating and administering job applications—both hard-copy and online
- What you need to know about preemployment testing
- Using social media for employee recruiting
- Types of employment interviews
- Interview questions that can NEVER be asked
- Best-practice recruiting tactics
- The pros and cons of noncompete agreements
- Don’t get hit with a big fat lawsuit! Know the rules of using contract labor
- The do’s and don’ts of reference checking
Session 3: Employee Benefits Administration and Communication+
- Strategic benefits administration—you must have a plan!
- Your new health insurance obligations under the law
- What benefits do other organizations offer? A comparison of what’s out there
- A strategic approach to compensation management
- Managing incentive plans the fair and legal way
- Communicating your organization’s benefits and clarifying who is responsible for what to staff
- The IRS and cafeteria benefit plans—what’s changed
- Administering COBRA—what are the rules, and what happens when a former employee breaks them?
- Top policies and procedures that you must have in place
- The Employee Handbook Audit Checklist
Session 4: Federal Laws, Discrimination and Compliance+
- Know the laws and what they cover: FMLA, HIPAA, ADA, ADEA, COBRA, EPA, ERISA, FLSA, PDA, Title VII and more!
- Super-hot FLSA issues for employees who use technology to work off-site
- Don’t blunder here! Understand medical certification and the FMLA
- What constitutes age discrimination, and could your company’s managers be crossing the line?
- How does the ADA define reasonable accommodation?
- Top mistakes made in areas such as discrimination, wrongful termination, reverse discrimination, exempt vs. nonexempt classification, workplace bullying, domestic partner qualification and more
- Legal land mines in OSHA and workplace safety—know your rights and obligations
- Mental illness and the ADA—what you MUST know!
- Would your employees have a case for a hostile work environment claim?
- How to investigate and handle sexual harassment claims, employee discrimination claims and other employee-sensitive complaints
- What you need to know about the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act
Session 5: Employee Performance Management+
- Creating a legal and effective employee appraisal process
- Termination 101—keep it legal, keep it safe
- The unbreakable rules of criticism and discipline
- Discipline and termination documentation: Your best defense in court is thorough documentation
Click on a session title to view details
Session 1: Handling Special Issues and Situations+
- What you need to do when employees are called to military service and active duty
- The ins and outs of handling garnishments
- Why and how to conduct effective diversity training for every employee
- Keys to avoiding costly mistakes when handling employee accidents and injuries on the job
- Protecting your organization from retaliation lawsuits
- Social media use policies—what you can and can’t do
- Can you replace an older worker with a younger one? What you need to know
- What’s legal when it comes to drug, alcohol and genetic testing?
- Workplace violence: Keep your employees safe and protect your company from liability
- The role of HR in times of change and turbulence
- Contingency planning for emergencies
Session 2: Working With Your Organization’s Managers and Staff +
- HR’s role in supporting organizational managers and supervisors
- Educating your organization’s leaders on expectations regarding: Proper recruiting, interviewing, hiring and other staffing procedures; writing and maintaining current, precise job descriptions; employee discipline and termination; maintaining a discrimination-free and harassment-free work environment; onboarding new hires; performance appraisals; employee training; employee dress codes and more!
- Understanding the high cost of turnover and how to work with managers to minimize it
- Do you really need to have an employee handbook? Yes, and we’ll explain why!
Session 3: Records Retention, Management and Destruction+
- What records do you need to keep and for how long?
- Managing electronic documents and paper records
- Records management tips that’ll make your life easier
- What’s the safe way to retain records that need to be kept?
- Creating a document destruction process
Session 4: Managing Vendors and Suppliers +
- What should you outsource?
- How to make vendors your strategic partners
- Getting the best prices and best terms
- Secrets of negotiating win-win deals
- Holding vendors responsible for their commitments … and what to do when they’re letting you down
- How to protect your organization from suppliers who harass employees
Session 5: Career Management: HR and the C-suite +
- Proving HR’s contribution to the bottom line
- Positioning yourself as a key member of the top management team
- Important HR metrics that tell the tale of how good you really are
- Prepping yourself for your career climb
- Where do you go from here? Career growth strategies for HR pros