In How to Effectively Manage Multiple Locations, you'll learn...
- Keep everyone on the same page and avoid communication breakdowns with easy-to-implement information systems
- Boost morale by helping employees at other locations feel like part of the gang
- Minimize tension between off-site workers and “corporate”
- Find opportunities to give feedback to employees you rarely see
- And much more!
Managing people you see every day is tough enough. But your headaches can quickly double when your employees work at other locations. While off-site locations can provide unparalleled benefits to organizations, they often present new and unfamiliar challenges to managers who are not prepared for the realities of getting things done at a distance. Turf wars, hurt feelings, lack of trust, communication breakdowns and other management headaches will become more manageable after attending this powerful seminar. This is where you’ll gain the critical know-how for realizing your full potential as a manager and a leader in one of most challenging situations any manager could find themselves in. Don’t miss this valuable training.
Program hours: 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
Click on a session title to view details
Session 1: Understand the unique roles and responsibilities of an off-site manager +
- Why some long-distance managers fail and how to make sure you don’t
- The vast difference between “eyeball management” and “results management”
- The 5 fastest ways to sabotage your success
- What the responsibilities of the multisite manager are—and most definitely aren’t
- How to know what’s going on without being guilty of micromanaging
- The best way to “control” an off-site office—ironically, it’s not what you would think
- A traditional and commonly used management technique that can actually torpedo your effectiveness
- 4 habits all great off-site managers share
- Building trust—your best weapon for gaining employee loyalty
Session 2: Create an environment where employees can’t help but succeed +
- The power of well-defined procedures—and how to strengthen yours
- Specific questions to ask off-site teams that will tell you how things are really going
- How to tweak existing systems and processes to better support off-site teams
- What many off-site managers discover when they change their reward systems
- Adjusting the flow of paper and projects to avoid unnecessary slowdowns
- Understanding and using communication technology—even if you’re not an expert
- Tracking work flow without losing your mind: This strategy works like a charm
Session 3: Solve the hottest issues distance managers face +
- How to tune into “background noise” that suggests a problem is brewing
- One of the most common barriers to an off-site team’s success—remove it!
- Where breakdowns typically occur in project management and how to guard against them
- Taking on responsibility for someone else’s team? Be sure to have this discussion first
- How distance managers build genuine, lasting relationships with employees
- An emergency occurs … are you certain your employees know what to do?
Click on a session title to view details
Session 1: Stay connected with people and be a catalyst for cooperation +
- The few times when a face-to-face meeting is not just better—but essential
- Top reasons why off-site employees feel left out—and what to do about them
- Giving feedback from afar—a new twist on a powerful motivating tool
- Are you hiding behind e-mail when you should be picking up the phone?
- Surprise visits: Should you … or shouldn’t you?
- How to avoid confusion and misunderstandings by setting up communication guidelines
- How to keep people from tuning out during “virtual meetings”
- How e-mail can be a two-edged sword if it’s not handled right
- Inundated with paper? How to shield yourself and your team from information overload
- A hard—but important—realization about how meetings with off-site teams should be conducted
Session 2: Build self-reliant, reliable and cohesive teams +
- Handling the most complicated off-site situation of all—problem performance
- Enforcing unpopular policies when you’re not there to smooth ruffled feathers
- How the definition of “performance measurement” changes when you’re managing remotely
- A simple principle that will help you stop even the longest-running feuds between sites
- Your off-site team is struggling—what to do first and foremost
- When teams don’t pull together: When and how to intervene
- The unexpected things that motivate off-site employees
- What’s your role in solving problems when you’re miles away?
Session 3: Redefine your approach to managing and motivating employees+
- Know how to respond should employees take potshots at “corporate”
- Coverups: What bigger, underlying problem to look for when employees hide mistakes
- No more quality slips—specific ways to make employees accountable
- What off-site employees want (and don’t want) from their managers
- Tips for ending employees’ feelings of isolation, once and for all
- Sensitive issues to be aware of when coaching by phone, e-mail and videoconference
- CPE Credits: 12
- Field of Study: Communication
- NASBA #: 107691