In Payroll Law, participants will learn...
- Correctly classify workers (employees vs. independent contractors or exempt vs. nonexempt)
- Identify when nonexempt employees are on the clock and must be paid
- Make sure required records are kept—and for the right length of time
- Discover how to correctly calculate and prioritize court orders
- Correctly calculate and pay overtime and employee tax withholdings
- Identify what types of benefits can be nontaxable to the employee
There is nothing routine or simple about managing payroll—the laws governing payroll management change often. It is your responsibility to keep up with any changes in the law. The ever-changing nature of payroll law makes it easy to make mistakes, no matter the size of your organization.
That’s why we developed Payroll Law. This workshop will show you exactly where you are vulnerable and, more importantly, how you can fix the problem.
Click on a title to view details
The legal fundamentals of payroll administration +
- Where do your legal responsibilities as a payroll pro begin and end?
- The top payroll law mistakes that could get you hauled into court
- How to classify each and every one of your employees correctly
- How to utilize the ABC Test to relieve your payroll headaches and worries
- How to ensure you’re withholding, reporting and paying the right taxes
FLSA at a glance +
- The relationship between FLSA and employment in today’s business
- Common FLSA exemptions that trip up even veteran payroll pros
- How do you classify “time worked”?
- When can you give comp time in lieu of overtime pay?
- Regular rate-of-pay exclusions
Understanding benefit administration fundamentals +
- What exactly is taxable compensation in the eyes of the law?
- Are you taking out the right taxes? Too many? Too few?
- When fringe benefits are NOT taxable
- Cafeteria plans and FSAs and COBRA
- A step-by-step guide to handling a deceased employee’s wages
Demystifying special payroll circumstances and challenges +
- Everything you need to know about deductions: Mandated, voluntary and involuntary
- Handling employees who work abroad
- How some U.S. income tax treaties may affect your company
Enforcing garnishments, levies and more +
- What are the federal restrictions on creditor garnishments?
- How to prioritize bankruptcy orders
- The differences in administering a defaulted federal student loan
- Guidelines for the amount of wages subject to an AWG when AWG and CCPA calculations differ
- EXERCISE: Use these easy-to-understand worksheets to compute child-support withholdings
Maintaining audit-proof records and forms+
- Time frames for keeping time cards, employee earnings statements and other vital payroll records
- Step-by-step checklists for W-4s
- How to avoid the most common mistakes employers make on W-2s
- Keeping your organization safe from penalties
- When you make a mistake—how to answer an IRS notice
Special roundtable discussion: The Future of Payroll Law+
- In this eye-opening session, you’ll find out exactly where the payroll industry is heading. You’ll get firsthand information on new legislative actions, guidelines and regulatory actions that can—and will—impact your business. You’ll be on the forefront of the hottest issues concerning payroll administration today. Don’t miss this opportunity to get ahead of the game and ensure your organization’s compliance with every new and emerging payroll law.