Adobe Photoshop is an editing software program for photos, graphics and other images. Developed and published by Adobe Systems for Windows and OS X, Adobe Photoshop is an amazing tool used by various professionals in many different fields.
Careers that require Photoshop skills
Photographers use Adobe Photoshop to enhance the quality of their images. The Houston Chronicle noted that for portraiture, photographers can remove blemishes from their subjects or brighten the lighting on an image.
Graphic designers spend their days creating flyers, adding logos onto brochures or editing text in a video project. Adobe Photoshop gives these creative workers flexibility and tools to bring their wildest ideas to life.
Tech communicators use Photoshop to build 3D models with texture, according to the Photoshop website. These 3D objects are useful for expressing complex designs in a clean, simple presentation.
Forensics technicians – perhaps one of the more unlikely groups to invest in Adobe Photoshop – use the program to process photos depicting evidence from crime scenes.
Industrial designers need Photoshop skills in order to create visually pleasing products that can also be easily manufactured.
Even astronomers use Photoshop to intricately process images gathered from distant galaxies so they can more clearly understand the universe.
How to use Adobe Photoshop efficiently
Like any intricate software program, Adobe Photoshop requires time and patience to learn its many features and functions. However, here are several shortcuts and tips for users to make the most of their time working with the editing program.
- Bird's eye view: As outlined by Creative Bloq, users can better view a work in progress, hold down the H key when zoomed in very close and drag the image to immediately get a full screen view.
- Undo: To undo more than one history state, use Cmd/Ctrl+Alt+Z.
- Content-Aware Move: Adobe's site states that while preserving the original photo, Content-Aware Move lets the user replace items quickly and easily in their images. It also displays the original image on the left side of the screen for easy comparisons.
- Zoom techniques: Navigating around an image becomes more efficient with the Cmd/Ctrl+Space function. Hold these keys down and drag right or left to zoom in or out, respectively.
- Multiple layer editing: Changing the font on multiple layers simultaneously is possible by holding down Cmd/Ctrl and then choosing each layer in need of editing from their panel, then selecting the Type tool and altering settings in Options.
These are just a few of the many shortcuts and functions offered by Adobe Photoshop.